in ITALY AND Greece
9 September - 3 December
The marble column and clear proportions have been paramount in the cultures of Greece and Italy. Artists and art historians so often yoke together Italy and Greece, that it is surprising no educational program has done so. We at the Aegean Center for the Fine Arts are proud to offering our Italy-Greece program for the 30th year, a program specifically designed to expose artists and students of the arts to both the contemporary life and the history of these centers of civilization. Students develop their painting, drawing, photographic, and writing skills while simultaneously experiencing Ancient Greece, the Italian Renaissance and their vibrant contemporary Mediterranean life and light.
The Autumn Session begins in the Tuscan city of Pistoia, Italy, 30 km west of Florence and concludes at our permanent facility on the Greek island of Paros. During our days in Pistoia we make many excursions to museums, sites and other important cities and towns including Pisa, Florence, Siena and Rome. Our time in Italy concludes with a three-day stay in Rome before departing for a three-day stay in Athens on our way back to Paros. The schedule allows participants to study and base work on the two most important inter-related Mediterranean traditions of art in a single program. Once on Paros courses continue in earnest and students begin work in the studios and labs.
In Italy we stay at our lovely 16th century Villa Rospigliosi just outside the Tuscan city of Pistoia nestled in the foothills of the Apennines. Accommodations at the Villa are double occupancy. While at the Villa we share beautiful meals together in the evening as well as lovely Italian buffet lunches when not touring and always a typical continental breakfast in the mornings. Once back in Greece on Paros students have single studio apartments.
• Three weeks room & board at our Villa above the Tuscan town of Pistoia (only 30km from Florence)
• Meals at the Villa: breakfast & dinners as well as lunches on non-touring days.
• Hotels: In Rome & Athens.
• Hotel: three nights in Rome, room only including breakfast.
• Hotel: three nights in Athens, room only with breakfast.
• Bus pass for Pistoia.
• Rail and bus travel for all program group travel to Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Prato, Siena, Rome, Athens & Paros.
• Entry fees for all planned museum visits, monuments and sites in Italy and Greece.
• Group Flight - Rome to Athens.
• Boat travel - Athens to Paros.
• Ten weeks, room only, single occupancy efficiency apartment, Paros.
• Instruction, studio space, lab facilities and lab fees.
• Computers and Internet access while at the Center on Paros.
• Several shared taverna meals on Paros.
• Bus travel for local Paros outings.
Tuition does not include: International Air travel, food when not at the villa Rospigliosi or during the Greek phase of the program, artist materials, i.e. paints, brushes, printmaking plates, canvas, paper for printmaking, silver analog photography film & paper, travel & health insurance or items not mentioned specifically above under “Tuition Includes” list.